Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Did You Brush Your Teeth?

brush your teeth
Ok, this story is still cracking me up. I have yet to share it with anyone because it happened so early this morning. . . I don't know how many mothers out there have this problem with their children, but mine don't want to brush their teeth. I won't say all of them. Cade, my 4 year old, will brush his teeth daily without me even reminding him. . .Santa brought all 3 kids the "musical toothbrushes" that play a song for 2 minutes (the amount of time they should be brushing) And we can always hear Mr. Cade in the bathroom rocking out to "We will, we will rock you!!" Sometimes he even stomps to the music while he brushes. . .too funny. . .Macey does fairly well. .Sometimes I have to remind her, but she never leaves for school without brushing. . .So, by now, I guess you are realizing who this story is about. Ian. He is 10 years old, and for some strange reason doesn't seem to value the importance of fresh breath?clean teeth? plaque free? no cavities? Can I keep on going? We were in the van this morning almost to school, when I thought I smelled someone's breath. . . Could Ian have forgotten to brush his teeth after I told him to do so 3 times this morning????

So I asked. "Ian, Did you brush your teeth?"
"No, I forgot." he said, as if it didn't matter. . . "I will when I get home."
"Are you kidding me? Do you realize how nasty it is to go to schoool and not brush your teeth? Not to mention your breath is disgusting!" I started feeling my blood pressure rise.

I then had a very ingenius idea. . . I think, anyway. . . I proceeded to tell Ian that I was taking Cade and Macey to school, and then he and I would head back home for him to brush his teeth.

"I will be late for TJ Singers!!!" he said. "That is not fair!" Smiling to myself, I said, "You should have thought about that one before you left the house without brushing." But then, I even had a better idea. . . "No, Ian we are going to run by Wal-greens, and buy a toothbrush, and toothpaste, and you can brush your teeth there before we return to school. . . "

"Fine,"he said. "That is closer anyway."

So that is what we did. I bought a sample toothpaste, and a toothbrush. Checked out-after informing the checkout lady what Ian had done-and she was laughing. . .Then I sent him to the bathroom to brush. . .After he was finished, before we left the store-I did a 'teeth check'. . . to make sure he did a good enough job. . .and he did. . . so once we were back in the van--

I said, "Ian , when you get home from school, you owe me $3.26 of your money(Ian is a money hoard-he doesn't want to spend his money for ANYTHING-he is saving for something big) to pay for the stuff we had to buy this morning."

"That isn't fair!! It was your idea to go and buy it. . " he whined.

"Yes, it was. . .and I would bet that you won't forget to brush your teeth before school anymore. . .Will you?" I asked him smiling. . .

He agreed with me. . . Lesson learned. Brush you Teeth.

I will keep you posted on his progress :)

3 comments:

Tanja said...

Score one for Mommy! That is just great thinking on your part. Love it.

Robin said...

Sounds like something I would do! I'll have to remember that one. My sister accuses me of being "mean" like that to my kids all the time. Except, I don't think that's being mean, that's teaching responsibility! :)

Kristie said...

Love it! You crack me up! No more corn tooth!