Friday, August 15, 2008

Farewell Friends...

I said Farewell to two members of our pet family this week...No, they didn't die, or anything serious...but they moved on to be adopted by another family...I, personally, had had enough. of the Lizards....

On Tuesday afternoon, I walked by Ian's room, and looked over at the tank which is where our 2 bearded dragons were housed....when I saw a HORRIBLE thing...They were attacking each other...I mean fighting, beards out, clicking against the side of the tank...when I caught with my eyes-the part of the fight that helped me make the decision to get rid of our reptile family. (For those of you who know us-I have shared the story of our lizards tails breaking off...and how we have made many trips to the vet for antibiotics, ect. The vet informed us, that the lizards were not doing this to each other, and that they should continue to be fine in the same tank) Ok, the vet was wrong...I caught them...The bigger of the two lizards bit a HUGE chunk out of the other's tail...CAUGHT!!! I beat on the side of the tank, and got them to stop...and then I noticed the blood in the tank, and I was done...We are not keeping cannibal lizards for pets...I could get a new tank, separate them, but that would entail, new basking lamps, new log, more space, ......no...I am done...Everyone in the family agreed with me...It was time to get rid of them...James was ready to just put them outside, and say bye bye..but I couldn't do that...There are people out there who are reptile lovers...So, maybe I could find someone who would want these little guys....So, I called a local pet store in our area, and a friendly voice answered the phone....

"How can I help you?"

(I proceeded to tell this poor girl my entire lizard history, and how now I am done with them...3 children, 1 dog, 2 cats, and 2 lizards later....I just don't have the time, means, or desire to help with this sibling rivalry that has been going on in the tank)

"I will take them" she said..."Not for the store, personally, I will take them home, and nurse them back to health. I have 2 beardies at home, plus a snake, (then she proceeded to name a variety of other animals that I can't even remember the names of....)

I asked her when we could bring them, and she said she would be off for the next 3 days, but we could bring them right then...So, yes, I loaded the little guys up, tank and all...heat lamp, crickets, cricket keeper, all of our lizard "stuff" and put it in the van...I said come on guys...We are moving these little guys to a new home...And we were off...

We arrived at the pet store in about 20 minutes after I spoke with this wonderful lady who was making my life much easier, and she doesn't even realize it....Immediately she opened the tank, and picked up the little guys, and started kissing them, and baby talking them...She prepared a peroxide bath for Sparky's tail...and started soaking it...the whole time....still baby talking the little guys....They were better off....God is Good...Even in taking care of our lizards...Ian had reservations about getting rid of them...I mean, they were his, and his best bud, Tyler and given them to him...He didn't want to give them to someone who wasn't going to care for them....You know, he was a little worried...But the smile that came across Ian's face, when he saw this young girl, just start "caring for, and loving on these little guys"....It was God's way of telling Ian...You made the right choice....I know this may sound silly to some of you...But I know that God is involved in all aspects of our lives...He knew that this girl would be the perfect person to take our littlest family members in...and he had her be at the store, answer the phone at the perfect time. God is in control....of everything in our lives.....even the lizards....=) We exchanged emails, and she promised to send pictures to the kids so they could see how the little guys were growing ect. So, our family is smaller today...a little smaller anyway...but our hearts have been touched...once again, by our loving Lord...and his hand in our lives...even in a the smallest of ways...but sometimes those are the most amazing...He cares for us so much...to be there...even in the small things....Have a great weekend....

5 comments:

BethAnne said...

I was thinking what a good mom you are for letting them have reptiles in the first place. Reptiles are forbidden in my house (or anywhere else near me). I am glad you found someone to love them.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! Canibal Lizards...I agree with Bethanne...and form of a repitile is NOT going in my house!

Tanja said...

Love it! Yes, He does take care of our smallest details... that's why He's so awesome.

Kissing the lizard, though? C'mon! Ewwwwww.

Melanie said...

I can somewhat relate...We had a hamster a few years back and that little booger escaped ALL of the time!!!!!!! We had just sold the house and moved out and realized "fuzz baby" didn't make the move. So we went back to clean and search for him. You wouldn't think it would be too hard to find a hamster in a practically empty house...WRONG...we searched forever! We finally found him in the cabinet under the kitchen sink way back in a little corner that was really out of sight (you had to stick your head in and look to the left to see it)...This apparently was his hiding place!!!! Needless to say, we gave him to a classroom as a pet...
Sorry for the book;)

AshNAlMom said...

Looks like the boys had a blast. I am sorry things didn't workout with Miss Macey. We will have her over soon. I'm glad she ended up having a great day planned anyway. Have a great week.